LOCHAL PUBLIC LIBRARY
Lochal is Tilburg's new public city forum. The building houses public libraries, co-working spaces, conference rooms, arts education spaces and a large city hall for international events, exhibitions and debates. Lochal is in a defective locomotive shed in the railway zone next to the Central Station; an area that is being transformed step by step into a new heart of the city.
The building houses a new kind of hybrid library: visitors can not only view and borrow books, other media and changing collections, the building also stimulates the joint production of new information. This will be done in so-called 'lab rooms', themed spaces that will spread across the building.
Large open spaces and floor fields match the heritage value of the monumental hall and the idea of an 'open' library. Six mobile and space-high canvases ensure that the staircases are transformed into theater or lecture space.
The open library area can be divided into different zones. When entering the visitor comes in a large central hall where he finds a unit of the former lochal. This courtyard is served by a series of stairs and terraces Give an overview of locations to read, to work, to discuss and to act. Via these terraces there is access to the co-working corridor that is surrounded by meeting rooms. On the last floor wide corridors are place at more intimate workplaces. This hallway comes out at a shared winter garden with a view over the city...
- Name: LocHal Public Library
- Location: Tilburg (NL)
- Program: Public library, seats2meet, BKKC, kunstbalie, catering facilities, event areas
- Size: 11.200 m²
- Lead architect: Civic Architects
- Transformation and restoration: Braaksma & Roos Architectenbureau
- Interior and landscape design, textiles: Inside Outside / Petra Blaisse
- Landscaping: Donkergroen
- Interior design library, offices: Mecanoo Architecten
- Advisors of the city of Tilburg:
- Construction management: Stevens van Dijck Bouwmanagers & Adviseurs
- Technical consultancy: Arup (structural design and engineering, installation technology, sustainability, lighting, fire safety, acoustic design)
- Lead contractor: Binx Smartility
- Consultants: VDNDP Structural Engineers (site architect), F. Wiggers ingenieursbureau (structural engineering), ABT Wassenaar (building physics, acoustics, fire safety), SOM= (commercial management), Linneman (BREEAM certification)
- Glass hall: Zaanen Spanjers Architecten, Octatube
- Textile screens:
- Design drawings and installations: Inside Outside / Petra Blaisse
- Woven sections: Tilburg Textile Museum
- Canvas sections and installation: Seilemaaker
- Assistant canvas sections: Gerriets France (FR)
- Monofilament sections: Theatex BV
- Rails and motorized system: Gerriets GmbH (GE)
- Installation and software: Levtec
- Photography: Stijn Bollaert
- Other illustrations: Civic Architects
- Awards: 2019 Winner World Building of the Year 2019, World Architecture Festival WAF - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Winner Completed Building Culture 2019, World Architecture Festival WAF - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Winner Gulden Feniks - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Winner BNA Building of the year, Publieksprijs - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Winner BNA Building of the year, Leefbaarheid & Sociale Cohesie - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Winner Dutch Design Award - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Winner Dezeen Awards, Rebirth Project - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Finalist Azure Award, Adaptive Re-Use - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Finalist Architizer A+ Awards, Architecture + Renovation - LocHal Public Library Tilburg Nomination Public Biulding of the year, Architectenweb awards - LocHal Public Library Tilburg